CIAT is seeking applications for the position of a Forage and Livestock Systems Specialist. The position will be based at the Regional Office of CIAT in Asia, in Vientiane, Lao PDR, and will be housed within the Tropical Forages Program of CIAT.
CIAT in Asia has worked for more than two decades in Asia using multipurpose tropical forages to Improve farmer’s livelihood through more efficient and sustainable agriculture and livestock production systems while increasingly giving attention to reducing the ecological footprint in the framework of CIAT’s concept of ‘Ecoefficient agriculture for the poor’ ( for more information, please visit http://www.ciat.cgiar.org). Current project activities are implemented in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. The appointee will be responsible for the execution of these on-going projects and for the development of new research for development proposals. The forage specialist will also be expected – in collaboration with the Tropical Forages and Asia teams – to contribute to the adaptation of the vision and strategy on tropical forage research in a thematic and regional context.
CIAT is one of the 15 not-for-profit research institutions that make up the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) funded by various countries, private foundations, international and regional organizations. CIAT conducts socially, economically, and environmentally progressive agricultural research aimed at reducing hunger and poverty, and preserving natural resources in developing countries.
Role and responsibilities
The incumbent will report to the Tropical Forages Program leader and the Regional Research Coordinator Asia.
In coordination with the CIAT’s Tropical Forages and Asia teams the appointee will:
- Develop and undertake research in forage based crop-livestock systems.
- Develop and participate in capacity-strengthening programs related to the above work.
Specific activities include
Overseeing the implementation of on-going CIAT research projects in the fields of forages and livestock systems in southeast Asia.
- Providing support in the area of forages and livestock to CIAT programs in Asia.
- Contributing to capacity building of research and development practitioners including governmental and
non-governmental institutions and other research and development partners in the area of forage based livestock-crop systems directed at improving smallholder livelihoods with reduced environmental
- Developing new research for development proposals in the fields of forages and livestock systems in
Asia that build on the outcomes of previous research and network of partners.
- Maintaining and strengthening the network of forage related research and development in the region and with advanced research institutions from within and outside the region, with a particular emphasis on mentoring, capacity building, and collaborative activities with regional research for development institutions. Collaboration with sister centers from the CGIAR, in particular ILRI (www.ilri.cgiar.org) are sought.
- Strengthening the link between CIAT’s Asia, Africa and Latin America programs in the fields of forages
and livestock systems, and develop joint and complementary projects, where possible.
- Contributing to CIAT’s regional activities through management and strategic planning activities.
- Contributing to the representation of CIAT in research, donor, partnership and other fora, including
research publications and external communications.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- PhD, preferably in Agronomy or Livestock production, with good knowledge of Tropical Forages.
- At least 5 years of relevant and successful experience in agricultural research.
- Demonstrated understanding of the interface between social, economic, and environmental impacts of agriculture.
- Demonstrated capacity in developing and implementing innovative research, contributing to the
advance of knowledge related to the above.
- Demonstrated participation in resource mobilization efforts.
- Capacity in working in teams representing diverse range of nationalities, cultures and scientific
disciplines, including strengthening of strategic partnerships based on mutual respect and efficient
- Experience in management of projects will be advantageous.
- Excellent English, both written and spoken.
Terms of employment
The position is internationally recruited. The contract will be for a two-year period, renewable depending on
performance in research outputs and resource mobilization. CIAT offers internationally competitive salary
packages. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Women and candidates from Asia are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills, together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be addressed to the Leader of CIATs Tropical Forages Program, Michael Peters (m.peters-ciat), with copies to the Regional Coordinator, CIAT Asia, Rod Lefroy (r.lefroy) and CIATs Human Resources (j.c.novoa). (add @cgiar.org for email addresses) . Applications should clearly indicate `Application for Forage Resource Specialist Asia both in letters or email submissions.
All applications will be acknowledged, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: February 22, 2010.